Adolph Hess (early 1900's)
Adolph Hess (died 1912) started his business in 1870 in Giessen, and moved to Frankfurt two years later. In 1893, Hess retired and left the business to his son-in-law James Belmonte and Louis Hamburger. Adolph Hess Nachfolger, as the company would be known, grew to be one of the most important numismatic dealerships in Europe. A Luzern branch was eventally opened, and prior to WWII, the Frankfurt business was transferred to Dr. Busso Peus, who had joined the firm in 1924. Hess Nachf. Would continue to thrive in Luzern under the leadership of Hermann Rosenberg, and throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s co-arranged sales with Bank Leu.
Biblio: John Spring, Ancient Coins Auction Catalogues 1880-1980, London 2009 (description and image)