J.P. Moran lookgin rather stern...
John Pierpont Morgan – not to be confused with his son J.P. Morgan Jnr. (1867-1943) – began collecting in earnest in the early 1900’s. The bulk of Morgan’s coins were acquired by Canessa and Sambon: in the auctions of Martinetti/Nervegna (1907), O’Hagan (1908), Benson (1909) and Hartwig (1910). Amongst Morgan’s roman gold aurei, a large portion came from the collection Marquis Carlo Strozzi (1810-1886) which had been inherited by his grandson and auctioned by Giuseppe Sangiorgi in Rome on 15- 22 April 1907. Morgan’s coins were kept until 1917 in the J.P. Mortgan Library on 36th Street, when they were loaned to the American Numismatic Library until 1949. The New York dealer Wayte Raymond (1886-1956) then acquired them en-bloc, published many in several issues of The Coin Collector’s Journal (1949-1950) and issued a fixed price list in 1953 which contained “195 pieces of Greek Gold and Silver, 8 Gold Abukir Medallions, 20 Aes Signatum and Aes Grave, 183 Roman Gold coins, 2 Roman Gold medallions, a Roman Gold bar, and 24 Silver and 30 Bronze Roman coins and medallions”. Of those, 101 pieces were acquired by a private US collector, whose collection was then sold by Stack’s on 14 September 1983.
Biblio: Hadrien J. Rambach, Provenance Glossary of Coins in the George W. LaBorde Collection (published over three auctions in NAC 91, 99 and 105) (description); Photo by Edward Steichen, 1903 (image)